Celebrate with us the Fascination of Plants Day!
Plants are unique organisms. They can produce sugars just from sunlight, carbon dioxide and water. Biologists estimate the total number of plant species to be about 250000. Plants provide animals and mankind with food, feed, paper, medicine, chemicals, energy, and an enjoyable landscape.
This year’s Fascination of Plants Day, a plant scientists’ initiative happening around 18 May, has been already adopted by 50 countries worldwide to celebrate the importance of plants for our everyday’s lives. A variety of over 750 plant-based outreach activities for all interested people from toddlers to grandparents were already uploaded online by scientific institutions, universities, botanical gardens, and museums, together with farmers and companies, who will open their doors for you to enjoy the interactive events.
The seed sector is also involved, and a number of national associations and companies are joining forces to put the fascinating world of plants in the spotlight. The aim is to demonstrate that plant science and plant breeding are of critical importance to the society, environment and also economy now and in the future.
A variety of initiatives and activities has been organized this week by the seed sector:
- a large greenhouse on the Plein in The Hague, The Netherlands, including science battles by PHD students and a lively political debate with future Dutch MEPs,
- a session during the Food&Science festival in Mantova, Italy, where the public is encouraged to explore the innovation that is behind the food we eat every day.
- donation of a farm-bot - a completely open source-based garden robot system - to schools, promoting technical jobs in agriculture.
- an interactive photo call in Germany, reaching out to external public and encouraging to plant their favorite plants.
- a short series of videos showing how the profession of plant breeder is fascinating
- many more digital, face-to-face activities, open days, field days etc.
Learn more and discover all the exciting activities of the seed sector:
And you, how are you celebrating? Curious to know what is going on in your country?
Check the Fascinations of Plants Day website: https://plantday18may.org/